Monday, November 9, 2009

Ingredient: Pumpkin Puree


Ever since I read Unplanned Cooking's blog about her post-Halloween Pumpkin Latte, I have not been able to get it out of my head. Make your own pumpkin latte at home? Why didn't I think of that? Maybe many of you have, but it just never occurred to me. Since the fam loves pumpkin waffles (with chocolate chips) and pumpkin pancakes (with cinnamon sugar), I usually have some pumpkin puree in the fridge. So, I set out to make my very own pumpkin latte....

Now, I had to tweak it a little to suit my taste. And you should feel free to do the same. Although, any combination is going to be delicious. You know another reason to love this DIY beverage? It's actually healthy. Using real pumpkin (instead of that pumpkin-y flavored syrup) gives you Vit C, beta-Carotene + potassium. Not using the syrup also gives you control over your calories. And finally, the milk adds some Calcium + protein. Not a bad way to rationalize a latte!


Here is my version for one. Note that I use the new Starbucks' Via instant coffee (it's good. really!), as no one else in my house will touch coffee. No need to make a full pot!

Lazy Pumpkin Latte
serves 1

maple syrup (to taste)

1T organic pumpkin puree

1/4t cinnamon (or more to taste)

1-2 drops Mexican vanilla

about 6oz. organic fat-free milk about
6oz. Via Coffee (medium or dark roast)


-in your BIG mug, add maple syrup to cover bottom, cinnamon vanilla + pumpkin. Stir to combine.
-add milk (about half a mug)

-microwave for 1 minute (I told you this was the lazy version)
-add Via coffee packet, and hot water to fill mug.
-stir and enjoy!


Not bad for a Monday morning....

2 comments:

  1. Must make now! Well, first I have to roast a pumpkin, but it'll be a great excuse to make a pie AND coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always use organic canned pumpkin if you are short on time!

    ReplyDelete